Instructions for Faculty Escorts of Doctoral Candidates
This information applies only to ceremonies held at the Stephen C. O'Connell Center.
- Please assemble with your candidate at the O'Connell Center by the published assembly time, which is generally 90 minutes before commencement begins.
- Enter the O'Connell Center through the doors at Gates 2 or 3. Look for the placard identifying your degree.
- Commencement marshals will direct you to your place for the processional, which generally starts 30 minutes before the ceremony.
- All escorts and candidates will form two rows: You will stand to the left of the degree candidate.
- Once the processional begins, escorts and candidates turn in the same direction and enter the row of seats designated by the marshal. You will be seated to the right of the degree candidate. (See diagram)
- When the candidates are asked to stand, you will remain seated. After the doctoral candidates have had their degrees conferred, they will remain standing. The faculty escort accompanies each doctoral degree candidate to the stage and assists with hooding.
- Upon reaching the top of the steps, candidates will hand their name cards to the presiding official to have their names read individually.
- Candidates (followed by their faculty escorts) will cross the stage to shake hands with the dean of the graduate school (1st) and the president of the university (2nd). Then the graduate and escort walk together down the steps and the center aisle to return to their seats.
Please confirm that your candidate has made arrangements at the UF Bookstore (352-392-0194) for a cap, gown and hood. Doctoral candidates who have purchased their hoods will bring them to the ceremony. Rental hoods will be delivered to the O'Connell Center.