VA Work Study
This program is available to any student receiving VA education benefits who is attending school three-quarter time or more. An individual working under this program may work at the school's veterans office, VA regional office, VA medical facility or an approved state employment office.
Work-study students are paid at the state or federal minimum wage, whichever is greater. If you have any questions regarding the work-study program, contact the university’s Veterans Affairs Office at 352-392-1374.
Who is Eligible?
- Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
- Vocational Training and Rehabilitation for Veterans With Service-Connected Disabilities (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)
- Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
- Dependents Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
- Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C. Chapter 1606)
- Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work-study only while training in a state.
VA will select students for the work-study program based on different factors, including:
- Disability of the student.
- Ability of the student to complete the work-study contract before the end of his or her eligibility to education benefits.
- Job availability within normal commuting distance to the student.
- VA will give the highest priority to a veteran who has a service-connected disability or disabilities rated by VA at 30% or more.
- The number of applicants selected will depend on the availability of VA-related work at your school or at VA facilities in your area.
How Much Can I Earn?
You will earn an hourly wage equal to the federal minimum wage or your state minimum wage, whichever is greater. You may elect to be paid in advance for 40 percent of the number of hours in your work-study agreement, or for 50 hours, whichever is less. After you've completed the hours covered by your first payment, the VA will pay you each time you complete 50 hours of service.
How do I Apply?
- Complete VA Form 22-8691.
- Go to UF Office of Veterans Affairs in 222 Criser for form 22-1999 to complete the process.